When I realised my mom and her fiancé (John) had no engagement party plans, I just knew it was the perfect opportunity for me to get creative, get the family together and give the lovebirds the most special surprise!
After much deliberation, I decided on having an engagement picnic and got everyone to bring their favourite picnic snack and drinks, while I provided freshly baked cupcakes and cake for dessert. I had a budget to consider and a picnic was a perfectly sweet and budget friendly way to celebrate.
I suppose you’re wondering how I lured my mom and John to the party without arousing any suspicion? Well, I invited them to join the boyfriend and myself for a small family picnic – kinda sorta the truth! My mom says she had zero clue any of this was happening and she was completely overwhelmed when she realised what we had gotten up to.
Here was their reaction:
… there were tears, hugs and many smiles!
I decorated my freshly baked vanilla cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting and mini flags made out of toothpicks and washi tape in the colour scheme of the picnic!
Here is the recipe:
Vanilla cupcakes (makes 12)
- 125g soft butter
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- Preheat your oven to 200°C. Grease a muffin pan or line it with cupcake cases.
- Beat the butter and sugar until creamy, then beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in half the flour with half the milk, and then add the remaining flour and milk, together with the vanilla essence. Beat until smooth.
- Spoon the cupcake cases, smoothing over the tops.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 15 minutes. Test to see if they are done with a tooth pick or cake tester.
- Remove from muffin pan and place onto a rack to cool.
Cream cheese frosting
- 300g full-fat cream cheese
- 100g icing sugar
To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese and icing sugar and pipe over the cupcakes.
Overall, the day was an awesome success and mom and John got the engagement party they deserved!